Sunday, April 1, 2012

Scottish dancing Saturday

So...most of today was spent at Kapiolano Park with the 31st Scottish Dancing / Highland Games - which was full of Scots and Canadians. I suspect it is an excuse for everyone to come to Hawaii and escape the northern winter - but the competition was also serious. Erika was in 4 dances today - and I think another 4 tomorrow. So we set up camp in the park today and watched dancing & the Marines Band & burly Scots caber tossing and hurling and the Society for Creative Anachronism sword fighting.  I also took Nick & Tim to the beach and tried not to let them a) drown, b) get sunburnt and c) kill each other. I have been teaching Nick Australian terminology - which I am sure he is finding endlessly amusing! I'm getting a lot of "what did  you call them?" questions everytime I speak, starting with calling his 'flip flops' thongs.  Erika has also been practicing her diving skills in the pool with me this evening, and I got to see all Tim's photos of the car journey from Red Deer to Calgary and the flight to Vancouver, the Vancouver hotel room and the flight to Honolulu. I can't help feeling that there is a very PoMo artwork in this just waiting to get out  that Tim could be the next 'great' video artist of our time. Joella is better and happy and smiling and demonstrating her talent for going cross-eyed and giggling.

Tomorrow will probably be more of the same - Scottish dancing, beach time, sandcastles - and sunset on the beach. And then I'm pretty much done and on my way home.

Still feels like I am in Queensland!

No comments: