Sunday, May 25, 2008

Chicago

And now I'm in Chicago and its still only Sunday! Arrived this afternoon after an early start in Vancouver. You get to clear US customs & immigration at Vancouver airport - which made it easy at the Chicago end - but hey! I wasn't expecting to be fingerprinted or have my photo taken before 7am...


Spent the afternoon here mostly just wandering around - walked through Millenium Park, past the Art Institute of Chicago (love the lions guarding the place, shame about the Caillebotte...), along the shore line of Lake Michigan to Navy Pier - which is a bit like Cicular Quay and Luna Park rolled into one. And thousands of people everywhere. It's a long weekend here (Memorial Day tomorrow - sounds a bit like ANZAC Day) and it's warm and sort of sunny. I went on a 30 minute lake cruise, drank the largest and weakest cappuccino I have ever encountered (I think it was just hot milk...) and visited the Smith Museum of Stained Glass - which has all sorts of rescued stained glass windows and doorways ranging from late 19th C to the ultra-comtemporary. Even had examples by Louis Comfort Tiffany.


Back at the hostel now - and planning on a quiet night in and a long long long sleep - I think jetlag is starting to catch up with me. Talked to Jesse briefly on my new mobile (yay! I can use it!!!)

2 comments:

Kent said...

Disgusting about the coffee - you must flee now!!! Country without good coffee uninhabitable.....

Glad to see things are fun - and still envious....

MC said...

Hi mate, you are doing sooo well. It's practically Elizabeth's whirlwind tour of all places North of the equator!

Sooo jealous of Whistler and Van trips.. so beautiful there, the air, the scenery, the lakes.. Yep, will have to go back soon.

Did you think that the Caillebotte would magically appear back in the Museum? I think Harry Potter may have used this trick where if you wish enough, it becomes real?!

Loving my new home x M