Monday, May 12, 2008

Shame about the Caillebotte

AKA as the one painting I really really really wanted to see in Chicago (Gustave Caillebotte's Paris Street, Rainy Day (1875)) will be on its way to Fort Worth Texas while I am there... Bugger.

Still there will be plenty to see elsewhere - and I've discovered that the study/sketch for it is at the Musee Marmotten in Paris. So I can squint and pretend I've seen the real thing. And I guess I can always go back to Chicago another year. And while in Paris I will be able to view at leisure The Floor Scrapers (1875). Annoyingly for me (but for some very lucky people) most Caillebottes appear to be in private collections...

Anyway, ten days til I leave (23 May 08) and head off into the sunrise towards Vancouver and Sandy, then on to Chicago and Jesse and then to New York - where I am hoping Shelley & Craig will be able to fly down from Ottawa for a catch-up! Then its London (and catching up with Naomi), Glasgow for Mackintoshing and possibly a formal visit to colleagues at the School of Art Library; Paris, Madrid (Hola! Buenos Dias!), San Sebastian, Frankfurt, Singapore (and hello Elizabeth Armstrong!) then home - and back to work on Monday 30 June.

And because I am practicing uploading photos from my camera - so I can post some while I am OS and then you can all see how much fun I am having - here's a photo of my packing so far & a shot of Gus.

7 comments:

lea said...

see! blogging like a champ!

Unknown said...

Good excuse to go to Texas I say...

Victoria said...

Already I see that my boy has the look of an abandoned one. It's going to take a lot of BBQ chicken to make up.

Lovely blog, petal - links and all!

See you next week for a farewell vin ordinaire et pommes frites.

Kent said...

Still don't understand San Sebastian rather than Bilbao, but maybe the modern fixation is just me :-)

Looking forward (enviously) to following the trip!

Kent said...

Still surprised about San Sebastian rather than Bilbao, but perhaps that's just my thing! :-)

Looking forward (enviously) to keeping up with the trip....

K

K said...

I really need to get myself some friends with the same level of technological incompetence that I have ... what happened to postcards? And are those really packets of teabags in your luggage?

But thanks for making my cats jealous - THEY don't have their own websites yet. One more reason for them to yell at me.

See you Sunday!

Jeanie said...

my last comment was rejected!

so lets try again.. travel safely!
and have a REALLY GOOD TIME.
love, jeanie