Sunday, June 8, 2008

Another day in London

Another day in London - and my time here is almost over. Off to Glasgow tonight - and that nearly didn't happen. Scotrail is NOT my favourite organisation at the moment. Went to Euston station to collect my tickets this morning and the self service machine wouldn't dispense them. Joined the queue to talk to a real person, who also couldn't print them for me [but could see them in the system] because teh 'ticket type' wasn't displaying correctly on the computer system - and sent me off to call ScotRail to get them to fix it. Talked to Scotrail. Turns out that since I booked and paid for my ticket they have changed their ticketing system,. Told me to go back to the ticket queue and talk to someone at the station. Queued. Fronted up to Gerard's booth (poor Gerard...) and said 'i am having a disaster'. Told him the story thus far. He went off to make a few phone calls. Came back and asked my when I booked my ticket - April. Went away and made a few more phone calls. Came back with the bad news - ScotRail have changed their ticketing system. My type of ticket is no longer valid. I have to buy a new ticket, fill in multiple forms and thhey will refund me. So there goes £165 pounds I wasn't expecting. Mutter mutter grumble grumble.....

Not a great start to my day.

But have waved Naomi off to Birmingham - and taken myself to the flower market - just gorgeous - so many beautiful flowers.- and so cheap!!!! Then to the Geffrye Museum - whcih has period furniture etc from 1600s - now and has rooms set up to represent the changing households of the 'middling classes'. There was the most beautiful Arts & Crafts room - and a fab one from 1820s - very Jane Austen. Then off to the London Museum and its exhibits on the Great Fire 1666, and Roman London and medieval London. Then off on the DLR [docklands light rail] to Canary Wharf and the docklands museum - with its new exhibition on Jack the Ripper - which included letters written to the police, a stuffed bloodhound,original police reports about the victims and most gruesomely photgraphs of them... the walk last night was fascinating - hence the trip to the museum this afternoon.

off to Glasgow tonight on the train - ScotRail willing.....

2 comments:

Patricia Hayward said...

Hi Elizabeth. Patricia Hayward writing. We had dinner with Jan, Judy and Dale on Saturday night at the Liu Rose to celebrate Marcus' 26th and Roger's 59th birthdays. It was a good night. Jan has since sent me your blog address and today, a rainy or overcast Monday-of-the-long-weekend-when-it's better to be indoors, I've enjoyed catching up with your trip. What an adventure - and a great way to share it. I look forward to the next instalment. Travel well.

Sandy said...

Hey you!
Have just read your accounts of NY and London - what a blast!! Did I tell you I saw TMBG last year here in Van? and yes, they sang the NYC song and I couldn't get it out of my head for weeks!! (I could've given you the lyrics-or close!) I can't believe you suffer the loss of $165 for Scot Rail's screwup - complain, complain, complain - that's BS!! Your blogs are wonderful - conjuring up lots of memories esp. aspects of NYC and London. Lou loves that his cedar plank salmon rocks!! News from here: spoke to Kash 2 days ago - she's improving slowly. Was asking after you and your travels - you can call her @ hospital(# is on website). I don't think she's seeing web messages. SHe's in a cardiac ward as she had a heart attack while under sedation. Other sad stuff -Deborah's bigger puppy Bailey suffered same fate as Gus, just last week - horrible, horrible & very sad.
Other than that - I wish I were travelling with you!!
Keep blogging girl& enjoy every second of your travels!!
Love ya!! Yates xxxx