Sunday, June 1, 2008

MOMA, the metro and musical madness

Day Three in New York...

And with my trusty weekly Metro Card and bus map, I negotiated NY buses and made my way down to Broadway and Times Square and the queue for matinee musical tickets. I was lucky enough to get a ticket to see Cry Baby - and with a few hours before the show I caught another bus and headed up to MOMA (Museum of Modern Art).

Oh my - around every corner there was a Rothko, BArnett Newman's Vir Heroicus Sublimus, Modrian's Broadway Boogie Woogie, Trafalgar Square, sculptures by Brancusi & Giacometti, more paintings by Franz Marc, Boccioni, Chagall, as well as more Monets, Van Goghs, Redons.... This town in spoilt for good art. And then the hightlight of the museum... finding Malevich's Supremitist painting Boy with Knapsack - which I stood in front of and just grinned and grinned.

Cry Baby was an absolute hoot - based on a John Waters 1990 film - all 1950s rockers vs the squares - Bad Boy Cry Baby falls for Good Girl Allison - and mayhem ensues... its was so funny and silly and had a great singing and dancing and fab costumes - including a boy in a iron lung who was the mascot for the anti-polio picnic! I had so much fun that when it was over I went back to the ticket queue and got a ticket for Hairspray - which was just as much fun as Cry Baby and as silly as the recent film suggested. Lots of dancing in the aisles at the end of that one.

With a bit of time between shows I dropped by My Museum (that would be The Met - the one where I am a member) to have another look at the Singer Sargents and spend some time with a few Cezannes...

And some one out there (i wont say who) needs to know that Xanadu is currently showing on Broadway...

Today I am off to the Cloisters _ the medieval collection of the Met at the far end of town - and who knows maybe there are still tickets available for a show tonight!

5 comments:

Kent said...

MOMA - still envious - nuff said ! :-)

Victoria said...

But what good is Xanadu without our Livvy??

Wise move to stay in one place - that way you may even get a chance to do your laundry (now THAT would be grown-up).

I am glad you are walking and theatre-going as well as ODing on art. I was a bit worried about Stendhal Syndrome - not sure what the treatment is.

Take care.

Unknown said...

Hi,

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time! Don't spend too long bloggin - get out there!

Enjoy all the ab ex art - very jealous! Go to DIA and Flavin's installation at Bridgehampton if you have time!

Safe travels, xxx

MC said...

Definite MoMA envy over here!

Anonymous said...

Name me Elizabeth - I'm not ashamed!

But I have to agree with Victoria: Xanadu without Olivia just ain't gonna cut it. I would love to see the costumes though...