Sunday, April 10, 2011

Amelie Gatreau

othewise know as Madam X by John Singer Sargent



So Day One in NY and I went for a walk in Central Park which was full of joggers and families and people playing ball games and walking dogs. The trees are moslty bare but starting to be sprigged in green - and an abundance of daffodils and tulips...

I spent an hour at The Met - went to see Madam X, having just reread Strapless which details both the lives of Amelie Gatreau and John Singer Sargent and the scandal that his painting of her caused at the Paris Salon in 1870-something. Only she wasn't where I remembered. Turns out that they are building a new American wing and while parts of it are complete all the American paintings are in storage - acessible storage but storage nonethless. So I found Amelie there - out of her frame and hung so low that you could almost catch her eye - except that she resoultely looks the other way - and hung behind glass. Next to her were 2 other JSS portraits - Louise Burckhardt and ??? (can't remember his name) And all the Eakins and the Chases and all those other great American 19th C paintings are tucked away in this mezzanine area, behind glass.

I should rename this: Shame About the Singer Sargent!

Also spent a bit of time in the 19th C European paintings  and did a general wander around the gallery - not quite 'with-it'  enough to really spend any time actually looking and appreciating what was on display. There's a Steichen and Sieglitz photography show on that I plan to go back to see & Ringo Starr's gold drum! But plenty of time to spend days lost in The Met.

Walked back through the park and did a little bit of exploring the area around where I am living. Right next door is great deli / market - with lots of fresh fruit & veg and general supplies. Have scoped out where Steps is & planning on doing a tap class tomorrow morning.

Weather is ok - a bit grim & grey today and cool. Tomorrow is forecast to be 80 F - which the tv woman is telling me is warm! I need to learn to translate  F to C! But meant to be cooler again later in the week. Glad I brought my coat with me.

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

looks so cool. And at eye level, a unique way to make an acquaintance. You can always check them out again next time!