Tuesday, April 26, 2011

And the best thing about New York City is ...

well just about all of it really - but for the last couple of days it really has been the sunshine and the warmth. Hit 80F/27C yesterday and felt the same today. I may have even got a little bit sunburnt...

So I've just been hanging out doing the tap dancing / art gallery -ing and Broadway musical-ing thing for the last couple of days. Did another tap class yesterday and want to fit in two more before I leave on Friday (FRIDAY!!! How on earth did that come about so soon!?). Spent yesterday arvo at The Met in Ancient Egypt and then in Medieval Europe. I even saw one of Henry VIII's suits of armour. And my, wasn't he a sturdy fellow! Spent some time sitting in Central Park listening to a jazz band and reading Jane Goes Batty the second in the Jane Bites Back series. And got tix to Mary Poppins yesterday.

Today included a trip on the Statten Island Ferry - past Lady Liberty & Ellis Island and back again; a visit to 1906's Pierpont Morgan Library and art collection (including an exhibition entitled Mannerism & Modernism - which included quite an amazing range of art - drawings/ photos / paintings - in the most unlikely yet totally credible hang). They also had a gorgeous John Singer Sargent portrait of Mrs Morgan. The day continued with a wander through Macy's (the world's larget department store) and a ride on the old wooden escalator, a stroll around Union Square Park and then to -- are you reading this Jeanie Baxter ? Todd Fuller ?  -- and then to the Harry Potter exhibition at the Times Square Discovery Centre for a trip into Hogwarts complete with genuine props and costumes from the movies!!!!! I got to throw a quaffle!!! I was sorted by The Hat into Gryffindor!!! I got to pull out a screaming mandrake root from a pot in herbology!!!! They had all sorts of amazing things on display - the full size model of Buckbeak, one the centaurs, Dobby, Kreacher, Fawkes, costumes for the Hogwarts students and the wizards & witches, the beds from the student dorms, Hagrid's cottage, everybody's wands, harry's glasses, lollies from Fred & George's shop - puking pastilles anyone? various brooms including the Nimbus 2000, Hermoine's ball gown that she wore to the Xmas ball after the TriWizard tournament... the detail was amazing, expecially in the wands - which were all really different to each other.

And no theatre tonight - I fear I am getting musical fatigue! Good thing there aren't many shows left to see! Tonight I sat out on my deck and finished reading Jane Goes Batty, had a glass or two of a red wine that was labelled 'merlot' but isn;t like any merlot I've ever had.  [In fact it tastes more like raspberry cordial than anything else. So much so, that I have had to supress my inner Diana Barry...] I sat out there until it got too dark to read. I didn't quite see the sun set (too many buildings in the way)  but that was the feel of the evening. The wisteria is just starting to bloom - should be magnificent by the time I am back in Sydney!

Things to see & do before I leave - another trip to both The Met & MOMA just because I can, visit the New Museum of Contemporary Art on the Bowery, visit Ellis Island, visit the Gagosian gallery, tap classes, see Catch Me If You Can and Chicago... and possibly send postcards - although I have yet to buy any and I dont actually know where to buy stamps here as I haven't seen a post office. Oh well. You'll just have to make do with either a hand delivered card, or one posted when I get home to Oz - or more realistically consider this blog to be one long postcard. But I promise to show you all my photos when I get back!

Having a wonderful time. Miss you madly. Wish you were here!

love Elizabeth xx

No comments: